Story Time in Public Libraries
Explore this Section
KSO Library Story Time:
- In partnership with the Knox County Public Library and public libraries in nineteen upper East Tennessee counties
- KSO string quartet visits library branches throughout the local community and East Tennessee
- Combines children’s literature with classical music, sound effects and hands-on learning
- For pre-school aged children and their families
- 2019-2020 program: A Universe of Music
- Books featured include: Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle, There’s No Place like Space by Tish Rabe, and Alien Invaders by Lynn Huggins-Cooper
- Music featured includes:
- Haydn: “Sunrise” Quartet, first movement
- Saint-Saens: “Aquarium” from Carnival of the Animals
- Debussy: Claire de Lune
- Holst: The Planets
- and more!
- Free and open to the public
2020 Library Story Time Schedule In Knox and Surrounding County Public Library Branches
|Tuesday, January 7, 2020||10:30 AM||Oak Ridge Public Library|
|Thursday, January 9, 2020||10:30 AM||Howard Pinkston Public Library|
|Tuesday, January 28, 2020||4:00 PM||Farragut Branch Library|
|Thursday, January 30, 2020||4:00 PM||Cedar Bluff Branch Library|
|Thurday, February 6, 2020||10:30 AM||Blaine Public Library|
|Friday, March 6, 2020||10:30 AM||Caryville Public Library|
|Tuesday, March 10, 2020||11:00 AM||Huntsville Public Library|
|Friday, March 13, 2020||11:00 AM||Kodak Public Library|
|Wednesday, April 1, 2020||10:45 AM||Kingston Public Library|
|Friday, April 3, 2020||10:00 AM||Church Hill Public Library|
|Thursday, April 23, 2020||1:00 PM||Unicoi County Public Library|
Thank you to our 2019-2020 Library Story Time Sponsor: Pellissippi State Community College.
For more information about the Story Time Program, please email the Director of Education & Community Partnerships.
Better Than Cookies, As Good As Cake
The Knoxville Symphony Orchestra published a children’s book about classical music written by KSO cellist Stacy Nickell Miller. Entitled Better Than Cookies, As Good As Cake, the book tells the story of a young girl who receives a violin. She finds that the sound that her violin makes, both alone and as part of a string quartet, is better than cookies and as good as cake. The characters in the book, illustrated by Stephen Brown, are loosely based on members of the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra.
This book is available for purchase at Amazon.com.
Special thank you to Sam Furrow and Jim and Kay Clayton for making this project possible.