Story Time in Public Libraries
Explore this Section
KSO Library Story Time:
A KSO string quartet and narrator combine children’s literature with classical selections, sound effects, and hands-on learning for young students.
- In partnership with the Knox County Public Library and public libraries in nineteen upper East Tennessee counties
- KSO string quartet visits library branches throughout the local community and East Tennessee
- Combines children’s literature with classical music, sound effects and hands-on learning
- For pre-school aged children and their families
- Free and open to the public
- 2022 program: Tails and Tales
- Featured books and music to be announced in January, 2022
2022 Library Story Time Schedule in Knox County Public Library Branches – Coming soon!
For more information about the Story Time Program, please email the Director of Education & Community Partnerships.
Thank you to our 2021-2022 Library Story Time Sponsors: Titanic Museum Attraction and Julia Caroline White!
Better Than Cookies, As Good As Cake
The Knoxville Symphony Orchestra published a children’s book about classical music written by KSO cellist Stacy Nickell Miller. Entitled Better Than Cookies, As Good As Cake, the book tells the story of a young girl who receives a violin. She finds that the sound that her violin makes, both alone and as part of a string quartet, is better than cookies and as good as cake. The characters in the book, illustrated by Stephen Brown, are loosely based on members of the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra.
Special thank you to Sam Furrow and Jim and Kay Clayton for making this project possible.